Tuesday 10 March 2015

An Owlie Tutorial

Good morning peeps and I hope that you are all OK and having a great week so far.

It’s that time of the week when we head on over to catch up with the Papertake gang and this week, our theme is

Mum’s The Word.

If you get a sec do nip over and check out the cardage because it is beautimous, I kid you not.

My card today something that I made when I was doing my Tonic thing in Farnborough and I also made some of them when I was in Glasgow. I really am loving these dies – they cut so beautifully and there are endless possibilities. I have to say a huge thank you to all the sweet crafters who came to the shows and stopped by to say hello.
What a lovely bunch of crafty peeps you are xx

Anyway, I’m waffling so back to the card.

I had made a plain white card using the Deco trellis set and I kept looking at it and thinking that I could easily turn it into an owl.
So I had a go and this is it. 
Lots of people loved it so I said that I would put a tutorial on here.
It’s a picture one for now but I’ll try and do a vid as well.

It is ohhh so simple to make and super cute.

What do you think?

I’ve called her Olive Owl : )))

Although I've done a girl owl, you could easily turn this into a boy owl by changing the colours and making a little hat instead of adding  the ribbon.
I’ll pop the boy owl I made on here tomorrow but for now, here’s how I made old Olive.

You will need the following supplies which I got from Crafty Devils 

Tonic Deco Trellis Base Die Set 
Tonic Indulgence Affections Die - 478e On Mothers Day

Tonic Layering Circles Set
 
Tonic Studios
Scalloped Square Layering Dies Set
(Crafty Devils are just updating their website so I'll pop back later and add any missing links).

And from your local craft shop – pink, white, brown and black cardstock plus stuff to decorate.

OK so here’s what you do.

Get your die cuts all done ….

The circles I’ve used are the smallest in the set ( 2 each  in white and brown for the eyes and feet)  and the next size up, 2 each in brown and black for the eyes. And then one more in white  cut from the next size up again for the rolled rose which is optional.

The heart is the smallest from the Mothers Day set, cut in brown, and used for the wings – you will need to cut this in half.

The beak is cut using the smallest scalloped square in brown.

The eyelashes are bits left over from the From Me To You set (thank you Jo Austin for that fabulous idea chick xx) 

The white shape that they are resting on in the photo (which is the owl’s tummy), is the smallest outer edges cut as a solid shape from the Deco Trellis set.

You also need 2 of the largest outer edges cut as solids from the Deco Trellis set, cut in dark pink card and 1 of the largest outer and inner cut together cut in pale pink card.

Now you’ve got the cutting out of the way, here’s how you assemble.

To make your base card …

Make a fold near to the top of one of the pieces, add some glue or tape and then fold down. 
Glue the other shape on top.

This technique will work with other dies as well to make a base card that is a bit different.

Now back to the owl.

Take the outer and inner shape cut from pale pink card as shown in the pic here and …..

.. stick to base card.

Then ….

… glue down the smaller solid shape to the card base using foam pads.

Now for the eyes.

then …

and once that’s done ….

… add the eyelashes if you want them and the black dots or googly eyes.
You can have fun chopping and changing how you put the eyes together and you will get loads of different looks.
My cross eyed owl seemed to be popular with the Glasgow ladies lol.

Now for the wings ….

Chop the heart in half and add some foam pads, then stick down.

And now for the feet -

… fold the brown circles in half and glue one half to the inside front then fold the other out outwards as shown.
Please excuse them scuzzy pic here but I was in  my own light, doh!!!

All that's left to do it to decorate it and generally give it a bit of personality.

You could add letters to the tum to spell put the recipients name, or add lace, ribbons, flowers etc etc. You don't even really need to make a card base if you done want to - you could just make up the owl missing out the first bit  and stick it down onto the front of a card blank if you wanted.

And that, me darlins, is that.

Thanks to anybody who has managed to stick it out until the end – we are very pic heavy today and they are not as good as I would have liked them to be because of the light (grr) but I hope you get the gist of what I’ve done.

If you make any, please send me a link so I can come and be nosey and of course, please feel free to email me if you get stuck or I haven't explained meself very well!!

Enjoy the rest of your day and huggiest of hugs to all xxx

3 comments:

Ribbon Girl said...

owly you could make such a cute owl Dawny! Mary x

Marjorie said...

Awh Dawny! this is the cutest Owl I have ever seen lol!! love her she is just amazing:) Thanks for the lovely Tutorial too!..
Hugs,
Marjorie x

Unknown said...

Hi Dawny, I've had a go at making the owl card. I think there is room for improvement but I'm going to make another one and see if I can improve!! here's a link to my blog to see the foto. http://dizzycrafter.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/owl-card.html
I will pop over to the tonic group and post a foto there.
thanks for showing how you made the owl card.
love Jane xx