Sunday 20 July 2008

Candle Tutorial

Thank you sooo much for your lovely comments about the candle on the last post. I've had a couple of e-mails asking me how I did it so I thought I would take the plunge a do a quick tutorial (and also cos I can't find the link I used which showed ME how to do it lol xx). Bear with me peeps cos this is the first one I did, so it might not be 100% but I hope you will get the basic idea .

Here goes .....

What you need is a
heat gun, your stamp, some white tissue
paper, some greaseproof paper, some loo
roll or kitchen roll and the colouring
medium of your choice. Oh and of course, a candle!!



Stamp the image onto the tissue paper. If it has a rough side and a shiny side, I stamp onto the rough side. Then fold the loo paper or kitchen paper into a wad and put it
underneath the image. This will help to soak up any liquid and stop it seeping
back onto the image



Colour it in. I have used watercolours here and you can see on the loo paper where the water went through the tissue paper, but was just soaked up.









Cut out the image. You dont have to
be too neat - just leave a bit of a border.
You don't even have to wait until it is dry,
but be a bit careful that it doesn't tear if you do this while it is still wet.















Put the cut image onto the candle where you want it to go. If it starts to slip off and won't stay put, dampen the back of the image on either side and it should help. It isn't very hygienic I suppose, but if you lick your finger and dab the tissue paper, that works really well!!

Wrap a band of greaseproof paper around the candle (taking care not to move your image) and grab hold of it at the back. You need to make sure that the greaseproof paper is smooth and flat over the image with no bumps, crinkles or gaps. Then go over the image with your heat gun in exactly the same way as you would if you were heat embossing. You will notice that the image will start to darken - as it does when you are heat embossing - and once it has changed colour all over, it is done. It doesn't take very long at all. The idea is that the top layer of wax will melt, the tissue will sink into it and become permanent.


Carefully remove the tissue paper et voila - it is done and ready for you to tart up with ribbons and embellishments etc.



Please excuse the 5 o'clock shadow on this last one btw. In fact please excuse all the dreadful photographs, as always. David Bailey has nothing to fear from me, but I hope you can get the jist of how easy peasy it is to do. If you had alphabet stamps, you could put the recipient's name on - there's loads of potential I think.




BTW I have never burned one that I made so I don't know what happens when the candle gets down to image level ....




TFS xxx




PS please excuse also the big gaps in between each picture. I don't know how to get rid of them sorry, I did try. But my blog thingy is playing up at the mo and I don't want to tinker too much xx




















37 comments:

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Fabulous tutorial Dawny and I just love the finished result. Such a great gift. I don't think I would want to burn it anyway as it looks too cute. Great idea and I would love to try to decorate some candles for Christmas, Have a great evening, Hugs, Nikki x

Cheryl said...

How interesting....I wondered how you did it. Would you burn it? I wouldn't....I would put it somewhere fitting and enjoy it....

Rach said...

Wow Dawny that was super quick.....Thank you for the fab tutorial. I am going to have to go out and get myself some candles...great idea from Nikki....about decorating some for Christmas...could make matching cards like you did Dawny, on your previous post....
Thanks again you are a gem. hugs rach.xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawny..Wow you are on a roll baby!!!This is fab and I have to say I`m soo loing all your latest creations ...you are talented for sureTFS!!:)
Well I must have a try now I`v seen your wonderful tutorial!!Knowing me being me Ill probably burn my finger nail of!!!lol....:)

~Emma~ said...

Thank you so much for sharing this...will have to have a go now...and I think you could do a regular tutorial spot! Hugs Em.x

Mary Dawn said...

brilliant tutorial! i always wondered how that was done

Em said...

FANTASTIC TUTORIAL!!!!

Get you Mrs Demonstrator - pmsl!!!!

That's fab Dawny, thanks for taking the time to type it all out and share it (hugs) xxx

Camilla said...

Great tutorial Dawny!! The candle looks really cute with the Tilda:)
Hugs, Camilla.

MeandLilG said...

Brilliant tutorial, hun! Thanks for sharing. Off to find some candles to decorate now!! Great idea for birthdays or anything really. You're pretty clever for a nutter, y'know.... xxxxx

Jill said...

wow wow wow Thank you Dawn, a fantasic tutorial. I think I'll have to buy some candles. You are amazing Jill x

Dawn said...

Brilliant Dawny

thanks for sharing this!!
Dawn
x

Trinka said...

What a great idea...thanks for showing us~

Sue said...

Thank you Dawny, that was a fantastic tutorial and very well explained.I will certainly be going out and buying candles cos I think they are a great little gift at xmas for teachers etc.Thanks dawny and hugs to ya ..you're a 'star' :-)

Sue
xx

Kathy said...

This is awesome!! I will have to try this out sometime!! Love how clear the image is:)

(BTW ~ I have an award for you on my blog:)

kerry said...

What a FAB tutorial!! You know, I think I might just have a go, thank you!
Kerry xxx

Anonymous said...

I've had a go at this - great fun! Your tutorial is very clear too!

Dawn Wheeler said...

WOW WOW WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW how fab are you i may have to try this ,best warn the fire men first,you know what i am like lolxxxlove it babe ,Dawnxxx

simplyfairies said...

Brilliant tutorial, I also luv the christmas one ya did... Thanks for your hard work in the tut and for sharing it with us....

Sharon said...

Fab tutorial Dawny. These would make lovely gifts.
Sharon :-)x

Bev said...

Fantastic tutorial Dawny - you've made it look so easy!

There is something for you on my blog hunny

Sue said...

Hi Dawny, if you pop over to my blog i have something for you darl :-)

sue
xx

Nicci said...

What a great tutorial thanks for this , am off to try it now
niccix

Han said...

What a fab tutorial and an excellent candle very cute - I will have to give this a go Might c u over the weekend xx

Sharon Caudle said...

WOW! What an awesome tutorial!!! Thanks Glee! I will be using this one! Now I'm wondering if you can print a picture on wax paper if you use a glossy paper setting.....hmmmmmm...

Cindy Haffner said...

Your tutorial is awesome, thanks for sharing.

Andrea, said...

Great tutorial, love your candles. TFS

tracie said...

wow fab tutorial Dawny, thank you so much I've always wondered how it was done and now thanks to you hun I can have a play sometime.
Hope your having a great week
hugs :)x

MeandLilG said...

Hello!! Now then. Lurve the tutorial and it was going well for me, right up to the bit where you said I needed a candle... The best place to get these is Ikea, cos they're dead cheap but I don't have one within a light year of my house, so where do you get yours, chuck?? Either that, or tell me how I do without a candle....... xxxxxx

Enfys said...

This tutorial is just so great Dawn, you make it look so easy and the end result is just fab. Thanks a million, I am going to try this for sure - En x

Debbie said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial Dawny. Great Idea for Christmas. I make a lot of stuff for a local charity and I think these would be very popular.

Debbie x

Jilli said...

Thanks Dawny, will defo be using this tutorial. They're great little personalised gifts. Love em and love you for sharing! Jillix

Sue Shaw said...

Love all the techno babble! I don't blame you for leaving well alone!
The candle tutorial is brilliant and I'm off to buy some candles tomorrow, so that I can play too!
Thanks for sharing.
Sue. x

Joy said...

Great tutorial Dawny very clear and precice and I thought the piccies were fab xx

Sonia said...

Hi Dawny
Love this candle tutorial, thanks for sharing.
Great Gift Idea!!!

Hugs, Sony

Anki said...

What a great tutorial. I know that my uncle's wife are doing something similiar, but she is using tissues with flowers etc on. This will def. be something fun to try out. I found the link via Rach - thanks' Rach.
Warm regards from Sweden,
Anki

Timetostamp said...

This is very cool! Thanks so much for the tutorial - it looks great! These would make great presents!

Maria said...

Woweeee, this is amazing! Thanks for sharing this tutorial. As Nikki and Rach mentioned these would make great gifts for Christmas so I'm going to give it a go to see what I can come up with. Hugs, Maria