Tuesday 20 May 2014

Something Completely Different Even If It’s A One Pic Post Today!!!

Morning peeps and what a storm we had here last night.
Blimey it was like a Hammer horror film at one point (well maybe not that bad but it was pretty spectacular nonetheless).

It’s that time of the week when we check in with the Papertake girlies and this week we have an

Ohhh So Cute

challenge. Instead of making a card, I decided to do do a bit of embroidery hoop art and make a hanger for little Thea’s new bedroom which has an owl theme.

And ….

.. this is what I did.

IRL it looks much nicer than it does on this quite frankly bloody awful photo.
I faffed and faffed and hung it here and hung it there and ended up putting a sheet of lilac card down and photographing it flat. I’m STILL not happy with it – there’s more shadows here than I don't know what!! But the light is so bad here today : (

Sadly, this really is  the best of a bad job I’m afraid.

You can get these hoops really cheaply – I got mine from Amazon but I bet you can get them even cheaper if you look about.

I painted the outer frame with white gesso and covered the inside frame with some Promises Solids paper which is perfect for this because it looks kind of quilted. The easiest way to do this is to cut a circle approx 1/4” larger than the inside diameter of the hoop. Then place the hoop onto it and draw around the inside with pencil on the wrong side of the paper. Now just make cuts around the edge up to your pencil line and glue it onto the hoop. The cuts make little notches which simply fold over the edge of the hoop.

The owl die is a Marianne’s Creatables Owl die –= it’s verrry sweet – and I used papers from Promises, Bonnets & Bowties and Promises Solids to make it.  I inked the edges to make each piece stand out and I used foam pads to add dimension to the wings and eyes.

And the pretty bits and bobs were all from the The Ribbon Girl.

The easiest way to attach the lace is with a hot glue gun.
Doing very small sections at a time, just add blobs of glue onto the wood  then with your tweezers,  push the lace into place, making sure that you gather it as you go. There’s no need to sew – the glue will hold it on place and you can use the tips of the tweezers to ouch it along (hope that makes sense!!).

Right that's me done on the card front.

Wasn't that storm bad peeps.
I’m not generally scared of thunder but I was decidedly uneasy last night, especially as Richard was working and I was on my own. The cat kept howling as well which did nothing to calm my nerves!!! She isn't bothered by thunder either usually but for some reason it was winding her up last night, so we were just generally spooking each other  - a right pair of scaredy cats together lol. At one point the storm was right over head and I really didn't like it one little bit.

Such a wuss!!!

Right on that wimpy note, I’m off.
Have a fab day and huggiest of hugs to all xx

9 comments:

Ribbon Girl said...

lovely wall hanging - she'll love it! I'm scared of thunder too Dawny - and I hope the pussy cat turns up soon so it can be looked after - people can be very cruel can't they. You pink card with pearls is gorgeous too. Mary x

Debs said...

Simply gorgeous - such a fabulous keepsake.
Debs xx

Gemma said...

Lovely owl wall hanging.
Gemma xx

Debra K. said...

Great use of an embroidery hoop! Looks fabulous and the owl is so sweet.
We didn't have any thunder here on the east coast. Sorry it scared you and your cat. Hope there's no thunder today where you are.
My nana used to be so scared of thunder and lightening that she would insist that all the curtains were shut, even in daylight, any lights and the TV was turned off and was sometimes known to sit under the table. So as long as you don't end up under the table, to be afraid is quite normal! Debra x

Sue said...

This is wonderful Dawny. I LOVE that owl, gorgeous papers and beautiful detailing too.
hugs Sue xx

Jane Savage said...

That a beautiful gift, Dawny! Love those gorgeous lilacs and that sweet owl! xx

Claire said...

Just beautiful - I love owls and this is such a cute keepsake too. Hugs, Claire x

Rebecca Bradshaw said...

This is gorgeous, I love the owl!
Rebecca.

Marjorie said...

Well here's me thinking what a great job you'd done on the photo lol!! It looks fab.. lovely project and I bet Thea loved it:)
Hugs,
Marjorie xx