Monday, 29 November 2010

As Different As It Gets (Plus My Candy Winner) !!!!!

Picture 009c

Hi peeps and I hope you all had a nice and warm weekend and that all is well xxx

Firstly, I must let you know who the winner of my blog candy was – see here – and it is ..

Doc1

Crafty Amy :)

Well done chick and if you e-mail your deets to me, Ella will wing her way straight to you :) And hugest of thanks to everyone who took part in the blog hop :)

It’s another very cold day here in Chester and we actually had a light dusting of snow on Friday afternoon which is still here. It looks like everything has been sprinkled with icing sugar but we’ve got away very lightly compared to some. I know that there are lots of people who have been knee deep in the stuff so if you are one of them, I hope that you are not too cold and managing to stay upright when you go out!!!

So I thought we’d get warm and toastie this morning  before the cardy stuff…..

Picture 002c

…so gather round my kitchen fire (please excuse my lack of dusting – LOVE the stove, HATE the flippin’ mess it makes!!!) …..

.. with a nice drink of hot choc – go on, have a Flake as well :)

And if you’re ready for a good old fashioned challenge now, then over at the Wild Orchid Challenge we have just the thing for you because our theme this week is

An Old Fashioned Christmas

Now this is something that sort of made me quake a bit because the mere thought of vintage makes me break out into a cold sweat.

BUT I have to say that I really enjoyed making this card. Whether it was because I was sitting in front of the above fire with a hot choc (sadly not THAT one, mine wasn’t that posh!!)  I don’t know.

Picture 002c copy 

But this is what I did and I ended up kind of liking it.

Now I am not sure that the image is very Christmas-ie to be honest but it is old fashioned so I guess it will do :)

What a sweet little girl. I have no clue who she is but it is an image off of a Tuscan Rose CD which I’ve had for years and years and all but forgotten about.

Picture 008c

You don’t always need gazillions of embellies and blooms and sometimes less is more I think. All the little extras I used here are of course from the wonderful Wild Orchid Crafts.

I used 3 10mm deep red roses (to look like berries), a couple of holly leaves and a yummy bow of cream organza ribbon in one corner.  

And I almost stopped there but………

Picture 010c

…. the pretty self adhesive pearls were just crying out to be used, so I put some in each corner :)

The lace frame was made using the new cream Guipure lace. It is so pretty and it was just perfect for this - and oh sooo easy to use.

I have to be honest and say that the paper is one which I found in the bottom of my 12 x 12 box and I have no clue what it is or who it by as the corner with this info on had been cut off!!!!

I don’t usually like ‘dark’ but somehow it seemed right for this card.

I did give it a little bit of a modern twist and I used two strips of MS eyelet lace punch down the sides of the centre panel and these are available from Tracy over at Dies To Die For

Picture 005c copy                Picture 006c copy

Picture 007c copy

So that’s my old fashioned card done. If you get a sec, nip over and check out the rest of the DT work AND there is as always a yummy prize up for grabs

And speaking of which, I thought that seeing as it’s cold, I’ll do a little giveaway. It seemed a good enough reason to me lol!!!

So if you fancy some of this gorgeous lace,  some mixed blooms, some punched eyelet lace strips and a couple of A4 sheets of printed vintage images, including this sweetie on here,  then just leave me a comment and I’ll get Mr Random Thing to choose 3 peeps.

Have a great day peeps and I’ll see you tomorrow for some thing Papertake-ey.

Stay warm and hugs to all xxx

24 comments:

Jane said...

Oh Dawny this is stunning!! Gorgeous, gorgeous pic and it is all perfectly vintage!! love it! hugs, Jane xxx PS now I NEED chocolate you naughty girl! x

laney said...

WOWZA!!!! its stunning ..a true beauty and I love it!!!
hugs
laney

Sonia said...

This is really pretty, love the colour combo and all your finishing touches :) That fire looks oh so inviting...don't wanna go to work its tooooo cold. Nice to see you the other day :)
Hugs Sonia xx

theCook said...

Love that lace frame and it goes really well with the punched lace too! Very beautiful card!
Thanks for a chance at your giveaway, that lace is gorgeaous and I'd love to try it on some cards!

Kendra said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I love all the lace on this!

Marie said...

Really wonderful! Love your card, and the fire place looks wonderful. It's so great to sit by them and do a little crafting.
xMarie

Bobbi said...

Congrats to Amy. What a lovely card. I love the vintage, especially at Christmas. TFS

Paddington fan said...

Hi Dawny, Thanks for letting me warm my toes in front of your fire - our heating is on the blink, still working but only just ;-(. The hot chocolate was brill too!! Love your card, that picture is so cute and all the embellishments are perfect - that lace is fab darling! I'm not really into vintage but I'm hoping to find time to be brave & give this one a go. Love Jacky x

PepPop said...

I know you don't usually do vintage but it is stunning!!! Beautiful image and the lace is perfect. Gorgeous card! Jaqui x

Suzanne said...

A gorgeous card. This is a style that I'd love to achieve but scares me to bits, lol. That fire looks gorgeous and so does the hot choc x

Deb said...

Dawny, this card is fabulous! I really love your vintage look!

Deb H.

Minnamanna said...

This is perfect card!
Love the lace frame, picture, roses and bow... love all your card :)

cardmaking bird said...

It's a beautiful image and very different from your usual style. Gorge, as always! Marie xx

dragonllew said...

What a gorgeous card not your usual style but I really like it. Wish I had your fire as it's freezing here.

Aussie Loz said...

Wow - I don't do vintage images, but this is gorgeous! Oh, and despite the fact that we're sweating with the heat down under.. I love your gorgeous fireplace!

Pauline C said...

Wow Dawny that's fabulous - love the lace effect and your mage and details are stunning as always :-) Very different for you dear but brilliantly done
Hugs
Pauline x

Sol said...

Lovely Card! The Lace is stunning! Lovely image too! :) Vintage exclusive! :o)

crafty amy said...

Oooh this is so gorgeous hun!
I love the doily and the flowers just give such a pop of colour :D
I am so happy that I won your candy thank you so much for the chance to win I can't wait to get her inked up.

Hugs

Amy xx

Meghan said...

Even though I just found your blog recently,I love seeing your cards. Really love your ability to embellish with taste!

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous card Dawny, love the beautiful image and the details are perfect.
luv
Debby

Diane said...

Wowzers, Dawny! this is an absolute stunner with all that lace! I think the darker background sets everyting off perfectly and your design is wonderful!
Diane x

Riet said...

What a wonderful card Dawny.

Hugs Riet.x

Rosa-kreattiva said...

wow che meravigliosa card... davvero meravigliosa chissà se la fortuna mi aiuterà a vincere quella bella immagine ciao

Suzie Q said...

Wow Dawn
you have done vintage proud considering its not your thang!! (me neither i would be quaking in me lil boots!)
lovely card
Hugs
Suzie Qx